Saturday, September 05, 2009

Geneva-on-the-Lake and More

Yesterday we drove to Geneva-on-the-Lake which reminded me of the typical seaside town with one exception - it is located by Lake Erie. There is a beautiful state park just outside of town and several campgrounds in the area. The town itself is touristy, of course. We ate at a restaurant named Mary's Kitchen and Dean had a great meal, me on the other hand had a really bad one. I'll start with Dean's - he had stuffed peppers and it was so good he ate almost all of his meal. I had fried Alaska paddock and it was awful! I'll never order that again. For one thing, I don't believe it was cooked thoroughly. The thicker parts of the fish were like mush or gel. Not flaky at all. I said something to the waitress and she said that is how it's supposed to be. Sure it is!!! I guess you win some and lose some.

We drove the highway that follows the lake to Ashtabula where I wanted to see the draw bridge again. I had seen a hill that you can park on and look down at the bridge so that's where we headed. The bridge is called the Fifth Stree or Bascule Draw Bridge (Bascule is a medieval term for draw bridge). It is unusual in that it uses a concrete counter weight to raise and lower the bridge. This is the first one I've ever seen. I heard it's one of a kind but can't verify that. I took pictures of opening and it you check them out be sure and look to the left at the big chunk of concrete - you can see how it lowers as the bridge raises.

After watching the bridge we went to the mall and it is obvious that this area has been hit hard by the economic situation. We went in Penny's and Sears and both stores were basically empty except for employees. I looked down the mall from both stores and saw no one walking. Actually it was kind of weird. We didn't stay very long.

I took a picture from the highway of the newest of the covered bridges. This one is the longest one in the US but I have to say that it doesn't have the look of the true covered bridges we had seen. It is a modern version and was completed within the past few years.

So that was our day yesterday. I have posted pictures at Picasa for your enjoyment.

Oh yes, we did go out last evening with Nancy & Jake and their friends. They wanted to go for a fish fry, AYCE. I think the place is called Wild Thing and it's it Jefferson. Well needless to say, the experience was less than great. The food is good but the service was really awful. Not sure I'd go back unless I heard that there were great improvements.

Today is a down day - Jake and Nancy are leaving for New York, I'm going to get my hair done and other than that don't have any plans. There are several festivals in the area but not sure we are going to any. We have been on the go for almost two weeks strong and it's time to relax awhile.

Have a Happy Labor Day weekend everyone - see you after!!!

1 Comments:

At 5/9/09 9:16 AM , Blogger Snackmaster & Jan said...

I agree with you on the fish thing, Janice. It seems to be the trend today to cook the fish "rare". I don't like mine that way either. I usually just order it well done - flakey. That waitress should have offered to have it cooked a little more for you, instead of the comment she made. Not good customer service:-(

Glad you are having a good time.

JanC

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home