Friday, July 25, 2008

Capulin Volcano Natl. Monument

We drove off this morning in search of a volcano, thank goodness it's one that hasn't erupted for many, many years. Capulin Volcano Natl. Monument is one that is a must see, if only for the ride to the crater..

Let me back up a minute though, I'm getting ahead of myself. We drove Highway 64 through the Cimarron Canyon, to Cimarron where we stayed on Hwy 64 heading to Colfax and Raton.

Now, Colfax from what I remember reading, was at one time a small town and a stop on the Santa Fe Trail (Hwy 64). Colfax is now known as Cold Beer, NM! Why, because the only and I do mean only, building there is a tavern with a sign that reads "Cold Beer, NM". I've posted a picture to prove it!

We also passed, as we neared Raton, NRA Whittington, one of the largest and best equipped marksmanship ranges in the US. Not being into guns etc., we just passed on by.

The drive from Raton to Capulin was very interesting. The views ranged from flat range land, to large mesa's, and small hills and mountains - all with a very different look. We saw lots of antelope as well, but they seem to be camera shy. As we approached the town of Capulin, the volcano became visible - wow - a real volcano. Of course the fields where strewn with lava rock which also gave us the clue that we were near our destination.

After watching a interesting 10 min. film on the eruption of Capulin, we started our drive up to the crater. I must say, this is one time (I was driving) that my eyes stayed on the road and I didn't hardly glance away to see the magnificent scenery below - why? There where no guardrails most of the way up and the road was not a four-lane interstate if you get my drift! There was one pull-off, which I took advantage of to get some pictures. After looking out and down, I'm glad I was driving and not the passenger looking down.

Once we arrived at the top, all was well - nice big parking lot. We got out to check out the crater and sights and were immediately where attached by bugs. They did not bite, but attached themselves to everything and anything, clothes, hair, camera etc. (Note: I stopped on the way down at the Visitors Center and asked what they are, False Cinch Bugs - harmless though - just pesty). There are several trails that are available, including one to the bottom of the crater. A few people braved the bugs and where doing the trails, we opted not to.

We stopped for lunch in Raton and drove through town. They have a old Opera House there, but I don't know the story behind it. I did take a picture though.

Coming home, we decided to take another road off the Interstate to Colfax. We were glad we did, took us out into the country - I think we passed two other vehicles. There where antelope in the road, but again, they took off running as soon as they spotted the car. I'll get a picture yet! Getting closer to Colfax we noticed the weather was looking bad at the mountains, lots of lightning. We saw several dust devils, one big one, but alas, I was not in a good place to get a picture. Sure enough, by the time we got to Cimarron, it had began to rain and the further into the canyon we went the harder it rained. Driving was not much fun at this point as I was having to avoid rocks in the road along with running water and the idiots that where coming the opposite direction that would not slow down going through these puddles! Finally, as we were coming into Cimarron Canyon, the rain slowed down. About the time we arrived back at Weathers RV Park, the sky opened up again, but we managed to get inside without getting soaked!

All in all, it was a interesting day.

Pictures will be posted soon - http://picasaweb.google.com/SchultzTravelPhotos

2 Comments:

At 25/7/08 9:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom2,Dad,
Loving all the pics the volcano pics are beautiful,I have seen these in person and must pretty in person too.But great shots..Watch the bad weather it will sneek up on ya without you knowing it..love ya and miss ya too..Have fun.
Love,Krystal and Ed

 
At 27/7/08 8:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow a volcano. All I can think of is a lot of walking and driving up the winding roads. Have fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home