Saturday, August 09, 2008

Road Trip - New Mexico to Colorado

Yesterday morning we bid farewell to our friends, Roger and Brenda, and a beautiful place in New Mexico, Eagle Nest, and set out to see what Colorado has in store for us. I need to thank Brenda for a great breakfast sendoff - thanks.
The drive was easy and took us approx. 5 hours. The mileage was around 220 with the first 70 - 80 on two lane road that took us over the pass at Eagle Nest down into Cimarron Canyon, to Cimarron and then to Raton, NM where we picked up I-25. There we went over another pass into Colorado. This was my first time driving the mountains and I must say that it wasn't bad at all. We've learned one thing with the motorhome - drive the speed that you are comfortable with and let everyone pass. Of course you must do the minimum speed at the least.
Looking back south at Fisher Peak in Trinidad, CO.
I've put a few pictures here that I took en-route. Also one of the Cadet Chapel here at the USAF Academy. We haven't toured anything yet, except today, we went to the Visitor's Center here on base just to get some info. There is much to do in this area of Colorado and we are going to attempt to put a good dent in the list we have. We will be here until the 20th then we move to Woodland Park which is about 30 miles west of Colorado Springs in the mountains - up in elevation again. I'll just get used to breathing regular again when we will be moving - oh well! It will be nothing compaired to the thin air on top of Pikes Peak at over 14,000 feet in elevation.
First view of mountains in Colorado - shrouded in clouds...
Looking up I-25 toward the mountains..
The Cadet Chapel from the road - will have more pics in the future...
Oh yes, I have to tell you, while I loved it at Eagle Nest, the shopping (for groceries) was the pits. Today we went to the commissary on base and I was in heaven! I stocked up on items that I haven't had for over a month and yes, not all good for me, but that's life - LOL.
Tomorrow we are going to attend services at the Cadet Chapel and then spend the afternoon setting our plan of attack on all the attractions we want to see and do. We've just arrived and the fun will start soon, so check back often.

5 Comments:

At 9/8/08 11:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I was lurking around on my 'puter tonight so I could jump right on this post. I'll be looking for those photos. I keep telling Jack that he shouldn't care about the folks who want to go faster. It's not a race to see who can get somewhere first.

Safe travels,

Susan

 
At 10/8/08 9:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to see more pictures. I won't let Joel drive more than 60 mph. Everyone passes us. Who cares. We can't stop as fast as cars and other drivers don't understand that. Oh well. Have fun sightseeing

 
At 10/8/08 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made the trip to CO okay--I just wish you'd have taken some of this Eagle Nest rain with you! Oh, well, the mornings are still nice.

Enjoy Colorado!
Brenda

 
At 11/8/08 6:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you made it to Colorado Springs in good shape. Driving slower saves fuel too:-)

The good thing about living at high altitude - when you go lower, you have tons of energy and things (like walking) are a lot easier:-)

Will see you in a few weeks.

JanC

 
At 12/8/08 7:40 PM , Blogger Dale said...

So what elevation are you at right now? Just wondering. I don't think Colorado is in our future because of that.

Dale

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home