Sunday, July 04, 2010

Good Sam CSP

Warning! You will probably find this a very boring entry. I'm doing this one more as a reference to myself so I remember the exact timeline that events happened.

Wednesday - June 23, 2010

Left the campground at Athens, AL around 8:00 am. Smooth cruising for awhile north on I-65. About 15 miles from the Columbia, TN exit the motorhome began losing acceleration. Wasn't to bad at first but kept getting worse after several hills to climb. Had to run the shoulder up a couple of hills as the highest speed it would get to was around 30 mph. I also noticed a lot of black smoke trailing us. To dangerous to stay in traffic, even with flashers on.

Made it to the Columbia exit about 9:15 am and pulled into Loves truck stop. Called Good Sam ERS and told them the situation. They called back and said that Cummins in Nashville couldn't take us for a week and they would find someplace else. Another returned call a few minutes later gave us the name of Tennessee Diesel in Columbia. I asked how far it was and based on the short distance decided to drive to it instead of being towed. Went slow, didn't have much choice, and made it there. It was about 10 am.

Tennessee Diesel - what a big joke! It was more like a junk yard! The mechanic (co-owner) started asking questions and when I began to suggest that maybe we had got some bad fuel, that Cummins suggested (I had called them) checking the fuel filters first, he said in a very rude voice "if you want Cummins to fix it, then take it there". He continued by taking the air filter out, and claiming it was filthy. Taking this thing out is no easy task, as it is really big and is encased in metal. After taking it out he proclaimed, oh yes, we don't accept any warranty. Guess I should have asked that first - bad me! So now we decide to replace or not. While talking it over, the mechanic goes to lunch. Great! I decide to call Cummins again and am told one way to check to see if the air filter is dirty is to shine a flashlight into it. If we could see the light through the filter, it isn't filthy! Dean takes a flashlight into the "garage" and does this and comes back with - "It's not dirty, light came through just fine". OK decision made - no new air filter. Bill at Cummins also said he didn't think that would cause our problem anyway. Along about 1:30pm the mechanic shows back up. We tell him no to the air filter, to put it back. He says fine then come back with "you have a manifold leak". "You probably need to have Cummins take care of that". "I can't do it". Meanwhile I called Cummins again and asked how far they were and if we came in could they check the fuel filters. He gave me directions and said yes, they would pull someone to do that. Our minds are now made up, we're getting to Cummins. I proceeded to call Good Sam ERS again and tell them what the mechanic said. They said they would call back in a min. They did with the advice that they would not pay for a tow to Cummins. When asked why not, I was told that because we were at a "service center that could do the repairs". I told them we were not and what the mechanic told me. They said they called and he told them he could fix it! No way, I said, we're not staying here and I don't appreciate them sending us here in the first place. I asked if they knew where they sent us and the response was it was the next place listed in the phone book! Oh Wow! I learned something about Good Sam ERS today! We both decide to try to get to Cummins and get away from Tennessee Diesel.

Around 2:30 pm we head back to I-65 and Cummins in Nashville. Surprise, the motorhome runs just fine! Was it because the engine was cold or because I prayed every mile there? The only problem we had was when we got off the interstate there is a steep hill to Cummins and we could only get up to 15 mph up that hill.

So, now we're at Cummins and it's 3:30 pm. True to their word, they send a mechanic out to replace the fuel filters. Bill at Cummins says they can take us in on Monday if this doesn't make things better. I checked around for a campground and found one on Music Valley Drive, not more than 5 miles from Cummins. We decided that we'd had a long enough day and where going to at least spend the night! Left Cummins and got on I-40 to Briley Parkway. Well, almost immediately know that the fuel filter change did not change our problem! Checked into the campground and called Cummins back. We now have a Monday appointment and a very expensive campground to stay at till then.

Monday - June 28, 2010

Determined to be at Cummins early we left the campground around 6:30 am. Parked at Cummins. They finally got us in a bay around 9:30 am and the technician starts trouble shooting. After several hours (including lunch time) Bill says the report isn't good. The charge air cooler is shot. The technician tried to charge it but the air leaked right out. The charge air cooler in turn caused the turbo to overheat which in turn caused the manifold to leak. Gosh, I think I have that right! I talk to him about Good Sam Continued Service Plan and he says that they don't accept second warranties. I do explain that even if they don't, I need them to call to get a claim started. No problem, this they will do. It's now mid-afternoon. Bill calls GS CSP and gets that ball rolling. Since we know what the problem is and determine that the motorhome should not be driven any more, Dean and I check out motels. We're in luck, there is a LaQuinta nearby that accepts pets. Reservations made. Unfortunately there is no way we can stay in the motorhome while it's at Cummins - they are not set up for allowing it.

So, end of day one - diagnosis made, GS CSP called, told a adjuster would have to inspect as well and it would take 1 or 2 days for him to get there.

Tuesday - June 29th

Cummins calls me to tell me that they had a call from the adjuster and he said that the motorhome needs to be broke down before he'll come. Why didn't someone tell us that yesterday! Of course the call doesn't come till late afternoon!

Wednesday - June 30th

Cummins gets the motorhome back in a bay in the afternoon and does the tear down. They call GS CSP again and are told the adjuster would be notified and it could be 1 or 2 days till he gets here. Meanwhile, I'm told by GS CSP that they will cover our motel for up to 2 nights waiting for the adjuster and based on the labor estimate from Cummins, 3 nights for the repair. Well, we are going to have this out but not until I know they are covering the repair! We should not have to pay for the motel when there is no way we could stay in the motorhome - this is part of the contract! I also tell Cummins to go ahead and order the parts since it will need to be fixed, one way or another.


Thursday - July 1st

Early afternoon, we go to Cummins to get some stuff out of the motorhome and Bill tells us that the inspector had just left after looking at the parts,taking pictures and writing a report. Waiting... I call GS CSP to find out how much longer we will need to wait and they explain it will be Friday morning before they will get the pictures, then the in-house adjuster will review it and take it to his supervisor. This is because the repair is running between 7 & 8 thousand.



Friday - July 2nd

Finally, around 1 pm Cummins gets the call with the approval to do the repair! Yippee!!! Bill says that they, GS CSP, won't pay all the shipping or for some of the hardware (ie: nuts, bolts etc). I didn't really ask questions of him about this because he is just relaying the message. Besides, I've convinced them, Cummins, to accept payment from GS CSP because they will be paying by credit card, not mailing a check! But, then I also find out that it will take them 2 days to pay Cummins, even using a credit card! Oh boy, something else! I will find a work around this, but today I'm just happy to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

They have began putting the pieces back together on the motorhome this afternoon.

So, now it's a long weekend and Cummins is closed until Tuesday morning. I'm not going to stress over the weekend. We are going to find something fun to do.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

1 Comments:

At 4/7/10 9:57 AM , Blogger Dale said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!

Great news, Janice.

Dale

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home