Saturday, April 21, 2007

Valley of Fire State Park

Since it was such a pretty day we decided to forget doing laundry and drive to Valley of Fire State Park north of Las Vegas. We made a very good decision. This park, to me, is as nice as Sedona, AZ. The one thing that really made it so was no commercial business's, just the wide open country with some very unusual red rock formations. You can even get hands on with a lot of them.

Dean and I did a half mile hike (our limit) to Mouse's Tank, a natural basin where rain water collects. Along the path on thecliff's were many petroglyphs. Many of these were very close to the path. I find it really amazing that this was the Indian means of communication. I feel privilaged to have seen them. Time and weather will slowly errode the rock that the petroglyphs are on (already happening) and sometime in the future they will be only a memory.

I took so many pictures of the rock formations that it will be hard to pick which ones to post. I'll try for what I consider the cream of the crop. Enjoy.....
The park greeters.....
The Beehives....
One of the Beehives....
Me in a Beehive.....

The Arch....


Some of the rock formations ...



More rocks and a cactus bloom.....

The path to the tank and petroglyphs....


I think the petroglyphs are sooo neat!






This rock reminded me of a boat trophy - can you see it?


I wonder how long the small rock will hold up the big ones?

More red rock.....





Hope you enjoyed the pictures. I posted more than I was going to but it was so hard to choose.

4 Comments:

At 22/4/07 3:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,this is Morgan. Ilove those pictures.I wonder what they were trying to say when they carved those animals? thank you for the puzzle. me and daddys put it together. those horses were very pretty. I hope to see you soon. I love you.talk to you later bye.

 
At 22/4/07 7:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see that you got to enjoy another one of our favorite places.

I still have a jar of the red sand that I brought back from there. One day I will use it in a terrairum or something.

Helen

 
At 23/4/07 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pictures. looks like you are having a great time. enjoy looking at your pictures. keep up the good work.
ava

 
At 25/4/07 10:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Janice; Those "beehive" rocks look exactly like some of the rock formations in Canyon de Chelley. We called them "wrinkly" rocks, then a geologist friend of ours gave me a short lesson on what they really are and how they formed. Very interesting. I really enjoy them - they look like the "old men" of rocks.

Glad you are having a good time. Keep it up. We are home dealing with snow and lots of rain. Should have waited another month to come home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home