Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Great Day In Tennessee

We are parked at the 1000 Trails Natchez Trace Preserve just off the Natchez Trace in TN. Not a bad park, lots of hills, trees and some nice size sites. The down side is the main road is in need of repair and very low water pressure. Another up side is plenty of sites that are good for dish use. Activities have all but stopped except for weekends and the park is probably one third to half full. We are in a site that backs up to woods with a peek of the lake through them. Our nearest neighbor is at least four sites away. This is nice since we've been kind of crowded in at the last couple of campgrounds. We are only stay two nights with tonight being the last, but I will come back - maybe when the leaves change.

Today we drove about 65 miles to Fairview, TN to see our good friends, Brent and Jackie. It had been about two years since we've seen each other and a lot has happened in that time. Brent was diagnosed with cancer, had treatments, went into remission then had it return even more viciously. But Brent is not a quitter - just the opposite, quite the fighter. It was so good to see them, if only for a few hours. I hope we get to come back again, much sooner. I really miss being around them more.

On our way to their house, we stopped at a little restaurant that they had introduced us to several years back. I have to share it with my readers, just in case you are ever in this area.

The name is The Country Kitchen and it is located at the junction of Hwy 100 & Hwy 46 - actually sits on Hwy 46 about 3 block west of the intersection. This is south of Fairview, TN. which is south/south west of Nashville. Their address is really in Lyles, TN. Driving there is half the fun as the countryside is beautiful with lots of small towns - really small towns.

Anyway, back to lunch. They offer lunch specials called meat and 3. Today's was meatloaf or chicken fried steak w/choice of three sides. For those who want less, they also offer meat and two. Dean and I both had the meatloaf - I added mac n cheese & coleslaw and Dean had mashed potato's & boiled cabbage. It was delicious. I don't get meatloaf out very often as it usually isn't to my liking, but this was almost better than my own! Then there was dessert - home made coconut cream pie -yummmmm. I hate to admit, but I ate every single bit of it. One more thing - the total cost of our meal was $16 and change.

After paying I asked the owner if I could take a picture of the pie, explaining that I do a travel blog and would like to post it here. She readily agreed and off I went to get the camera. The pie had been cut (we had two big pieces) so I got a picture of half a pie, which is really better cause you can see just how great it looked being served. See pictures below....

Doesn't look like much, but looks can be deceiving....




The rest of the pie......




Tomorrow we are off to Red Bay, AL. to the Tiffin motor home plant. Our rv'ing friends, Jake and Nancy are their with their Phaeton, getting some repairs done and we are looking forward to seeing them again. They will be heading west this winter, so I don't know when we will see them again - some where down the road I'm sure.

I'm going to take my camera on the tour and will post pictures if I'm allowed to take any. Till then - safe travels.....

4 Comments:

At 20/9/07 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better be careful on your tour of the Phaeton plant. You might just be tempted to trade in your fifth wheel :-) That pie looked great! Coconut Cream is my favorite.

Love Ya!

 
At 20/9/07 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

the pie looks delicious. have fun in the tiffin plant. tomorrow is our last day in the smoky mountains. we are leaving saturday for nashville. i saw a buck carcass just minutes after a bear killed it. the ranger was surprised because bears usually don't kill animals. takes pictures of the tiffin plant.
ava

 
At 21/9/07 8:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

While you were eating your great food, we were at The Mountain Gate in Thurmont. And guess what???
I had coconut cream pie there. Thanks for telling us about it. It was everything you said it was and then some.

Helen

 
At 21/9/07 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELCOME HOME TO DIXIE!

Suze

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home