Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Driving Into Winter

Since our drive Sunday into Cades Cove brought such a surprise - snow on the mountain tops, we decided Monday would be the day that we take the drive over the mountain to Cherokee, NC. Oh my gosh am I glad we did!

I knew we would be getting up in altitude and I was hoping that we would see some of the snow and I was not at all disappointed - thus the title - Driving Into Winter.



It was just so beautiful that words just can't describe it. You have to understand that snow isn't something that we usually seek out. We are warmer weather people like most of our RV'ing friends. But, when the opportunity is put in front of you to experience the beauty of a snowfall without all the mess, driving hazards and cold - well forget the cold, you just can't pass it by. The temperatures were in the 50's at the base of the mountain but in the mid-30's as we approached the top. I didn't care, I guess I was warmed by the beauty of it all.

I'm not going to say much more because a picture is worth a 1000 words so the saying goes. I have posted probably more pictures than you will want to look at on Picasa, but if you do take a look I certainly hope you enjoy them. I know that I will be going back myself to look again.

On our return home from our drive to Cherokee we went back to Cades Cove but again saw only deer and wild turkeys. It didn't matter, I was still high from the snow. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that we did see a cub bear on the drive up to the top of the mountain. Dean tried to get a picture but unfortunately it didn't turn out very well. I posted it anyway - see if you can make out the bear's outline.

Yesterday we drove to Pigeon Forge taking Ware's Valley Road. It is a nice drive but not near as scenic as the day before. I really needed some new walking shoes so we went to the Easy Spirit outlet store and I immediately found what I wanted and they were on sale! I walked out of the store with them on my feet (yes I paid for them first) and what a difference. Made my feet and legs feel better immediately! We then stopped at Mel's diner for a bite to eat. We didn't see Alice, Flo or Vera but our waitress was just as funny!

Heading back to Townsend we took the by-pass around Gatlinburg to avoid the traffic - yikes - it was really bad in Pigeon Forge. There is a overlook on this road that gives you a nice view of the mountain and a glimpse of town. We also stopped at a picnic area that has a lot of picnic tables and bath houses and is right along a stream. We are going back today with a picnic lunch and our friends Ava and Joel.

Speaking of Ava and Joel, we met them in 2006 in Gettysburg and have stayed in touch since. This is the first time our paths have crossed since. Last night we met for dinner and it was so good to see them again. They are not full timers but are on the road about 6 months of the year. The rest of the time they are at their home in New Jersey. Ava just loves going bear looking at Cades Coves and comes to this area every year. Last year she was really lucky with bear sightings but not so far this year. They are leaving on Thursday so I wish her lots of luck today!!!
That's about all for now. As usual, the pictures are up at Picasa and I hope you enjoy them. We will be here until Saturday but not sure what we will be doing except going back to Cades Cove at least once more, bear watching.

Till I come back here again - take care and God Bless.

1 Comments:

At 21/10/09 10:37 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for a great couple of days. It was so good to see you both. Unfortunately no bears tonight, but Cades Cove is so beautiful, I wasn't too upset. Hope we can get together soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home