Sunday, October 04, 2009

Our Last Day In Lancaster County

Our last day in Lancaster County started by meeting my cousin Barry and his wife Connie for breakfast. It was really nice spending more time with them. I wish we could have had even more! It was a long breakfast though, almost two and half hours! We sat and just caught up on family and talked about old times, our parents, our grandparents and special things we remember like home made ice cream made with real cream fresh from the dairy! It's the stick to the roof of your mouth kind. It can really be fun to reminisce with family about the "good ole days".

Leaving the restaurant I decided to take the long way back toward the campground which took us through Strasburg, past the railroad; to Paradise, back past the campground to Blue Ball, on to Adamstown, through Ephrata and Leola, and back into the countryside past the Amish farmland to the campground. I don't know how many miles we drove today but we were on the road for four hours! I need to add that our top speed was 45 mph. Most of the time we cruised around 30 mph. We both really enjoy driving the back roads, even though they all go through farmland, we always manage to see something different. Today it was a bright red windmill.

Our time in Lancaster County is coming to a end and part of me is sad about that. I really love it here, especially out in the country. The peacefulness and the quiet. The step back in time with the Amish buggy's and the farm equipment being pulled by a team of mules or horses. Tomorrow we move back to Gettysburg and a little more hectic lifestyle. Artillery Ridge itself is out in the country but to get to my aunt's we have to drive through Gettysburg and the traffic sometimes is bad. Oh well, that's life!

The leaves are just starting to turn - some trees have turned early and the leaves are almost gone but most trees still look green. I am hoping that they turn soon or we will again miss the fall color!

Next weekend we are going to a Apple Festival in Arndtsville (I think that is spelled correctly) and I'm looking forward to it. Fresh apple cider - ohhh good! Home made apple butter -hmmm, hmmm good. There will be several family members with us and I'm looking forward to the good time.

Prior to that I will be catching up on laundry, cleaning etc. We will also be shopping for our trip south - you know - the requests of bring me ??? back, I can't get it here! I've already started with a few things but will finish up next week.

So, that about wraps up this post. I hope you have enjoyed being here with us through the blog. I took more scenic pictures today including one of the windmill so be sure and go to Picasa and take a look.

Till next time - God Bless!

2 Comments:

At 7/10/09 2:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost out of my Cheese Waffies!

Suze

 
At 8/10/09 11:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

ahhh - so sorry - LOL. Guess I can bring more back to Alabama.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home