Monday, July 10, 2006

Bridges, Brooks, Bears and a Grotto

We are now settled in at Western Village RV Park in Carlisle, so I'll finish our Sunday wanderings.

I'm adding another picture of the covered bridge and the pretty brook that it went over - why? Just because I like them and my daughter didn't think the bridge was drivable. Now you can see it is.



Just outside of Gettysburg is the Boyd's Bear Company Store. WOW is what came to my mind when we turned the corner and saw this. Biggest darn barn I've ever seen!




This "barn" is three stories of bears, along with assorted friends. There is a hospital where you can adopt a bear and a build a bear section. For anyone traveling with children, this is a wonderful place to visit as on the third floor there is a lot of interactive things for the kids. The botton floor (basement) has a restaurant, bakery and a snack shop and after walking three levels you need a place to rest! After awhile, I was all beared out! I did purchase one, but I can't say what it is because the receipient will most likely be reading this.




OK, just to let you know, this isn't the order in which we saw everything - just had to keep it in order of the title.

After we left the covered bridge as we were coming into Emmitsburg, MD, I saw a sign that pointed to the Grotto of Lourdes. I've been this way many, many times and have never stopped, so today was the day. It is located at Mount St. Mary's University. If you are in the area, it is worth the stop regardless of your religious preferences. It is located off of Rt 15 just a short drive up the mountain (a small one). What a quiet, serene, beautiful place. I'll post some of the pictures as they will show more than I can say.

The first is the Grotto. Next is the chapel in the woods.


Two examples of the stained glass windows in the chapel.



Pond with a statue of Mary. Benches all around it.



This is one of about 10 mosaic tile plaques - beautiful!

There are several pathways to walk and all of them have statues, plaques etc along the way.

This is the statue that is visible from Rt 15.

http://www.msmary.edu/grotto1.aspx?id=808

The web site above will take you to the Grotto web site where you can read more about it.

Now I do believe I'm caught up again. We are going to spend part of this week in Carlisle resting and catching up with housework, laundry etc. We will also be spending time with some of my family that still lives in the area. Till later.....

2 Comments:

At 12/7/06 3:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so you can drive across that bridge! The earlier picture just looked like they had built the road across the end and blocked you with those concrete blocks from getting in.

Can't wait to see the bear you bought me!!

Love ya,
Suze

 
At 12/7/06 9:00 PM , Blogger Janice and Dean said...

Hahahaha - what makes you think it's for you! Your a grownup!

Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home