Sunday, July 09, 2006

Home Again!

I had to title this "Home Again" as everytime I come back to Pennsylvania I'm truly home. I have loved every part of the United States that I've seen, but when it comes to Pennsylvania, to me there is no place prettier. The hills, the valleys, the mountains, the farms - when I see them it almost takes my breath away. I get a feeling that I can't describe except to say that it must be a home again feeling. Guess that's because I was born and raised here in my early years.

Yesterday morning we left Clinton, MD, the home of Jim and Jo. Jo had back surgery a few weeks ago and had been having continuing problems and on Friday as we arrived, her Mother was taking her to the hospital to meet the Dr. Unfortunately, he admitted her and was going to perform surgery again to see what was wrong. We did spend the day with Jim and had a very nice time. They are still waiting for their house to sell and from what he was telling us, the market is slow right now. A big thanks is in order for the really nice parking place that they provided - Thanks Jim and Jo!

We are now parked at Gettysburg Campground. This is a family owned campground that pulls a lot of locals for the weekend. We have a full hookup site and can see the southern sky without any problem for the dish. If you come this direction, I'd recommend this campground. It's just out of Gettysburg, away from the crowd. Unfortunately, we didn't know that this weekend was "bike weekend" here in Gettysburg. There must be one million motorcycles in town with half of them staying here! They have been courteous and not been to noisy here at the campground.



This picture is taken from the entrance road. There are about three rows of spaces behind us under the trees. The spaces are a decent size. The park has now about emptied out as the weekenders have all gone home. Should be a quiet night - no motorcycles!

Yesterday we took a ride to Chambersburg for lunch and a stop at my favorite place - The Butcher Shoppe! Boy, I wish I had a big freezer. We did buy some ham salad, chicken breast salad, lebanon bologna and sirloin steak. I'll go back before we leave this area and fill the little freezer that we have. For sure, if you are ever in the area, don't miss the Butcher Shoppe in Chambersburg and a really great place for home cooking is the Greenvillage Family Restaurant which is just up Hwy. 11 north of C'burg.

Today we are going back to Maryland for dinner. On route 15 in Thurmont is Mountain Gate Family Restaurant - Not To Be Missed! I'll tell you a little more about it later today, after we get back. EDIT: Well, we went to Mountain Gate and ohhh, my tummy is so full! I can't think of anything that I had that I didn't like. So many choices at the salad bar, veggies, meats and desserts. Had a piece of Shoo-Fly pie that was good. I shared it with Dean. Then I had a piece of Coconut custard and Egg custard. I know, it sounds like a lot, but the pieces are small, thank goodness! Really, if you get up toward Thurmont don't miss Mountain Gate. There is room for RV parking in their extended lot or across the street.

After dinner we took a ride to a nearby covered bridge named Roddy Road. This is the smallest covered bridge in Maryland. Most certainly a one lane bridge. The creek there was so pretty and clear. Pictures follow:

This picture is taken from Rt. 11 just north of Thurmont. So pretty, I love the contrast of colors. Hope you can see them.

We also visited Grotto of Lourdes in Emmetsburg, VA and Boyd's Bears just outside of Gettysburg. I'll post about them the next time.

Tomorrow is a move day to Carlisle, PA. Hopefully will be back up and running by late afternoon. Ta Ta.........

3 Comments:

At 10/7/06 6:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is 'shoo-fly' pie???? Could have made lots of those with the flies at Donnie's the day you came over, huh?? HAHAHAHAHA!

Patti

 
At 11/7/06 7:16 AM , Blogger Janice and Dean said...

Strickly a Amish thing, not to worry - no real flies - LOL! The name came about this way - the pies were cooling on the windowsill and the ladies would have to keep saying "shoo-fly" as the flies were attracted to the sweet smell. Well it sounds good, doesn't it - LOL!

 
At 12/7/06 3:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And boy is it good! Would love to have a piece right about now myself!

Suze

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home