Friday, July 14, 2006

Memories of Harrisburg

On Tuesday we drove to Harrisburg to visit my past. I was born in Harrisburg and spent most of the first 12 years of my life there, plus other times later.

Our first stop was to visit with my great-uncle Ben. He is 92 years young! He is my paternal grandmothers youngest brother and the last of 11 children. He had a mild stroke several months ago but is doing really great. He spends time gardening which he is very proud of. His tomato plants looked very good, just not ripe yet - darn! Here is a picture of us by some of the tomato plants.



My Aunt Carolyn met us at Uncle Ben's and after our visit we went to lunch with her. Didn't get her picture this time but will be seeing her again on Sunday, along with her son, Barry and daughter-in-law, Connie. Will get a picture then.

After lunch Dean and I drove to two cemeteries where my brother Jeff (died at age 14), my grandparents and my great-grandparents are buried. From there we drove past several of the neighborhoods that I lived in. Funny how the mind will take you back in time. Even though the trees have grown etc, most of the houses looked the same and seeing them brought back a flood of memories of my childhood.

We also drove to Epworth Methodist Church where I was baptized, took confirmation classes, where my grandparents (maternal) attended church and where my great-grandfather J. Gilbert Lynn preached on many Sundays. He was retired then but would fill in for the preacher when needed. It is also where I was married (the first time around). The building is now a AME United Methodist Church . When we arrived, there was a funeral in progress - my timing is really great! We waited and about 90 min. later it ended and we were able to go in. The sanctuary had been partially remodeled, but the beautiful stained glass windows where still intact. They did have them covered on the outside with Plexiglas for protection. This was a bitter sweet experience for me as a lot of memories flooded my mind, but at the same time, I just didn't feel what I thought I would. Maybe I'm crazy - huh?

Here is a picture of the church. It was built in 1921 as is shown. It is a beautiful building with all stained glass windows, a large old pipe organ (still there, but the pipes are now covered), and built of stone.



I guess what happened to this congregation is typical of inner city churches these days. All the "old" family have died and the kids have moved on. What was left of the membership was merged with another UMC in the city. Sad........

After our visit at the church, we returned to the campground in Carlisle. We spent the last two days cleaning, doing laundry and just resting. Tonight we are meeting some friends, Jim and Jo, and Anne and Henry in Gettysburg for the Ghost Train ride. Should be fun. Check back to see if I capture a "ghost" on film - LOL!

2 Comments:

At 14/7/06 7:28 PM , Blogger Dale said...

Such neat experiences, Janice. The church building is beautiful. I am anxious to hear about the ghost train.

Dale

 
At 16/7/06 3:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez Mom, you could have let Uncle Ben come out from under that tree for the picture! He looks so uncomfortable.

Glad you are having a good time!

Love ya,

Suze

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home