Monday, August 17, 2009

We Are In Ohio

Last night we stayed just outside Lexington, KY at the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. I know several where hoping for pictures but sorry, I didn't take any. It was just a overnight stay and I was tired and didn't even venture outside. There is much more to this park than the campground though and if we get back this way, we will program a couple of days here. This is a race track and museum on the grounds. If I remember right the races are held in April and October. There are also many beautiful ranches in the area with a lot of horses. We passed some "mansions" this morning on our way to Ohio and if I hadn't been driving I would have tried to get some pictures. The one thing I am curious about is why the double fencing? The only thing I can figure is it is one way to move the horses from one field to another. Does anyone have the answer?

We arrived in Wilmington, Ohio at the 1000 Trials park early afternoon. After un-hitching the car we drove around and found a site that is shaded but with a view of the south west sky for the dish - yea! We got parked and electric on just in time - the rain began. It has been off and on all afternoon. Mostly showers with a little thunder. They are calling for more rain tomorrow, I think like 80% - uck!

I don't know what we will do, if much while here. We are planning on getting together with Tab and Deanna one day, not sure yet when.

This looks like a nice park to relax and enjoy whatever activities they may have. We have been in this area before so I doubt that we do much sightseeing.

There is one thing I forgot to mention. When we were getting close to Lexington, we drove through Versailles, KY and saw a castle - yep, a real castle! I did a little internet research and found that although originally built by a couple, the construction came to a halt when they divorced. It had sat in unfinished condition for many, many years, had burned in a fire and was rebuilt. It is know now as the Castle Post and is a upscale luxury hotel. You can find more info at www.thecastlepost.com

I stopped and took a picture from the highway but unfortunately there were a lot of power lines so it's not the best of pictures but you get the idea. I've posted it at Picasa as it seems that I can't get it loaded here.

2 Comments:

At 19/8/09 2:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow a cool castle! enjoy, off to my farm.

 
At 20/8/09 4:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha, Ava is off to her farm! That is too funny! Instead of the mansion on mine, I want the castle.

Suze

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home