Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Busy Week

Last week was a busy, wet week. David and Morgan did the bulk of the sightseeing this past week and Dean and I stayed put.

Since my wifi (HughesNet) is down, I'm going to keep this brief.

David and Morgan did a bus tour of the battlefield which David said was excellent. It is the one that is offered from the new Visitor's Center if you come this way and are interested. We all did the movie and a battle presentation that I can't remember the name of at the visitor's center. They also have a civil war museum. It's a one price ticket, depending on what you want do to.

David and Morgan also did two ghost tours in Gettysburg. I guess the first one of the Jenny Wade house was the best. She was the only civilian casualty in the Civil War. The second one they did was of a orphanage where the mistress would torture the children. Dean went along on that one.

They (David & Morgan) also walked the cemetery where many of those killed here in Gettysburg are buried and walked in town to do some shopping. I think the highlight was the morning horseback ride they did from right here at the campground. It was a 2 hour tour of the battlefield and very informative, so I'm told. They also saw some wild life - fox, deer, rabbits and a cat!

I spent time visiting with my Aunt that lives in Chambersburg, going over some old family papers and photos. I also discovered a little more information about a relative that fought in the Civil War but not here at Gettysburg. Family history can be so interesting. It's a shame that we don't become more interested in gathering the information when we are younger and our grandparents are still here to give us answers to lots of questions that I now have!

Of course we ate out at some good and not so good restaurants. Mountain Gate in Thurmont, MD or Waynesboro, PA is still tops on my list! Cozy's in Thurmont wasn't so great. Gettysburg Family Restaurant is a place the locals go and has very good food. The Lincoln Diner was really bad this time.

David and Morgan flew out of Harrisburg Intl. Airport Saturday morning in the rain. We drove back to Gettysburg in the pouring rain! Ugh, I'm really tired of rain and hope it's a while before I see it again.

Today is partly cloudy with some sun - yeah!!!

Yesterday we drove to Chambersburg to stock up at the Butcher Shoppe and to visit again with my aunt. We had dinner at the Greenvillage Diner which I highly recommend - just go hungry. It's not a buffet but you get large portions. I had turkey, dressing, mashed potato's and harvard beets. You also get ice cream for dessert with your meal. We all passed on the ice cream because I wanted some from the Igloo which is on Hwy 11 heading back south toward Chambersburg. Oh my gosh, they have the absolute best ice cream (black raspberry is my favorite) and I can't come to this area without going at least once. We all had some and then complained about how full we were.

Today was laundry day and it's all done. Took us just over two hours so wasn't bad. This afternoon I'm trying to get my new modem commissioned but having no luck so still don't have my wifi. Am forced to use the campground free wifi. Oh well, it could be worse and I not have access to any wifi!

OK, this is going to get wrapped up. I don't know when I'll be posting again. We are heading to Amish country in Ohio and will arrive there on Wednesday. I hope to have my wifi up and running by then.

Till then...God Bless!

1 Comments:

At 21/6/09 6:47 PM , Blogger Dale said...

Hah! Terry has tried over the years to convince me that NO ONE in the world besides me eats Harvard beets. I love them. Next time we have a meal together, Janice, we shall eat beets!

Dale

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home