Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Little More of Maine

A little about the park that we are currently at. It's name is Pumpkin Patch RV Resort. I've had so many campers tell me "you must stay at Pumpkin Patch in Bangor". It's really in Hermon, ME., just west of Bangor. Anyway, our first night here was spent in overflow as all sites were full. Their overflow has 20 amp electric only. but is relatively level. The next day we were moved to a "real" site. Our's is a large back in site on a corner, # 64. Really a nice site. But, I have to admit, I was wondering why so many campers recommended this campground. It's what I would call bare necessities. They have full hookup sites w/50 amp, some elec/water only sites and of course the overflow. There are two laundry area, each with two washers and two dryers. There is a club house that is fairly large. They have limited activities in the club house. So, I'm wondering, what makes this place so special that it is so highly recommended? Well, I must tell you, it's the owners and workcampers! What really special people they are. I've not seen a frown or heard a bad word from any of them. Just the opposite - faced with a problem, they smile and say "we can handle it". To bad that they can't teach other campground owner's a class on how to run a campground and deal with campers! We have been here since Monday night and there has not been a single space available since then - I've seen as many as four in overflow. Of course, they are Passport America and offer their rate during the week. On weekends they don't offer PA, but will give you the Good Sam discount. So I'll add my comment - If you end up in the Bangor, ME area, plan a stay here, but take a word of advice and call ahead.

Here is a picture of us on our site...



Today we drove to Skowhegan, ME to the New Balance shoe factory. They were having a tent sale and I just love the New Balance shoes. Wow-not one tent, but about four tents were set up. There was one for mens and womens shoes, one for kids shoes, one for seconds, and one with clothing. Another one had the registers. Anyway, I found a pair of walking shoes that felt really great on and Dean found himself a pair as well. Both pair of New Balance $70/$80 shoes cost us $80.00! Now I have to figure out what pair of shoes I get rid of - you know - something in/something out!

During our drives in this area we noticed that a lot of the farms here were built with the house attached to the barn. We found this very unusual. With me being from PA and Dean from MO we are used to the barns being away from the house. I took a picture of one that we passed today. It's not one of the prettier ones that I saw, but it was the only one that we could get off the road for me to get a picture of.





We are moving on Monday to a campground near Calais which is closer to the coast. I'm hoping to be able to see more lighthouses along the coast next week. Check back.....

1 Comments:

At 15/8/06 7:50 PM , Blogger Janice and Dean said...

That's the story that I heard about the houses w/attached barns. I wonder also about the smell. I'm not sure what the rooms are that are between the house and the barn - maybe smell catchers?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home