Thursday, May 10, 2007

Fallon Naval Air Station - TOP GUN

We arrived at Fallon NAS, Fallon, NV., last Saturday to a pretty decent FamCamp, just no grass. Concrete pad and gravel, but a very nice bath house and a FREE Laundry. Guess the free laundry makes up for no grass.

It was time for us to have some relaxing time, so since arriving here we haven't done very much. We did check out the BX and the Commissary both of which are rather new. BX is small, but the commissary is nice.

For those who don't know, and I was one of them, Fallon NAS is the home of Top Gun, the naval pilot training school as featured in the Tom Cruise movie by the same name. We are parked about 3 blocks from the flight line, so it's almost like having a front row seat to all the action. Right now there are some units in from aircraft carriers doing a lot of flying. The daytime action is OK and I don't get tired watching them, they fly in pairs, but last night I was ready for them to quit! I guess it was close to 1 a.m. before it finally got quiet. That was was a first and I certainly hope it was the last for that late.

Our neighbor works on base for a civilian contractor. We were all out a couple of evenings ago watching the planes and talking when he said that "that one is having problems". I asked how he knew and he said because he was circling the base with his wing man close. We watched as he continued to circle the base several times and then come in for a landing. He didn't land on the the regular runway, but on one that has the "hook" like on the aircraft carriers. His wing man continued to circle several more times until he was certain that the first one was OK. Then he landed also.

I don't know what it is about watching these planes, but I find that I am always looking up when I hear them. Guess the old bumper stick "Jet noise, the sound of Freedom" is true for me except for 1 a.m., ha-ha. I haven't been able to get any pictures yet as they go so darn fast, but I will. I'll come back and post it here, so check back.



Yesterday, we finally ventured away from Fallon and did a day trip to Virginia City, NV. What a neat western town. I'll make another entry about our day there in another post.

2 Comments:

At 10/5/07 6:48 PM , Blogger Tab, Deanna and Jessie said...

Hi Janice and Dean! Good to see your having such a great time. I would love to be sitting on the flight line with you. :) One o'clock is a little late though. Ken and Kathy are here for about a week and it sure is good to see them again. Terry and Dale just left last Sunday.

 
At 10/5/07 6:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i have never seen a plane show. it must be something. did you take a nap to stay up so late? haha
enjoy
ava

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home