Wednesday, June 03, 2009

We've Arrived In Hershey

After three long days on the rode we arrived at Hershey 1000 Trails (TT) Preserve this afternoon around 1:30. This is a really nice 1000 Trails Preserve but I'll get into that a little later. First I'll backtrack to the past three days...

I'd already posted about our drive to Carolina Landing in Fair Play, NC but I didn't say anything about the park itself. It has to be one of the worst TT parks we've been to. If you like lots of hills, unlevel sites, and narrow roads then this park is for you, otherwise stay away! We managed to squeeze into a pull-through for the night and got semi-level after a lot of playing with the level system. Getting out of the spot wasn't any easier than getting in since the roads were so narrow, but with Dean's good guidance, I managed to get us on the road.

Day two we drove from Fair Play, SC to Radford, VA, a long day for us. There was a Passport America park listed there so we decided to call it home for the nite. Another not so good to report on. The biggest problem with this park was it's location. Right under the interstate. Truck traffic all day/night long. Also the sites were not real level but a couple blocks of wood did the trick. However, one nice thing was being right on the New River. The road into the park is through a gas station and if anyone is at the diesel pump it can make it difficult getting out. Mark this one off your list, it's off mine!

On day three we figured on stopping in Winchester, VA but after getting within 100 miles and it was only 11:30 we stopped at a rest area and I researched going further up the road. We decided it would be Pennsylvania or bust before we would stop - LOL. We made it to exit 1 and Keystone RV Center campground. This campground is OK for overnight stays - level sites, 50 amp and water and is a Passport America park. Stopping here was perfect because it left us with less than 100 miles for today! Anyway, I called my Aunt Dottie and asked if she would like to meet us at Mountain Gate in Waynesboro. Of course she said YES! We met her and her daughter and two grandsons and had a delicious meal. I've said it before - if you get near Waynesboro, PA or Thurmont, MD at stop at Mountain Gate is a MUST!!

Prior to going to eat I made a run to the Butcher Shoppe in Chambersburg for my ham salad, chicken salad and lebanon balogna fix. I'll be going back for more good food before we depart Gettysburg the end of June.

As I mentioned, we are now parked and settle in complete with Direct TV and internet - yea!!!! Three days without internet makes Janice unhappy!!!

I have posted new pictures at Picasa so go take a look.

Tomorrow we are going to Hershey Chocolate World and if it isn't raining, to the Hershey Gardens. We will also go into town so Morgan can see the Hershey Kiss street lights. The weather isn't looking very good for the next two days so not sure what our schedule will be after tomorrow. You will just have to come back and check. Till then.......Oh yes, Morgan says hi to all those she knows!

3 Comments:

At 4/6/09 10:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would have to rub it in that your first eating adventure in PA was at Mountain Gate! UGH!! I'm so jealous. And then to top it off you go on about the Butcher Shop. You've made me so hungry. Next your going to tell me you got sticky buns too!

Hope ya'll have fun at Hershey. You need to take Morgan by the house we lived in so she can see the first house her Daddy lived in.

Wish I was with ya.

 
At 4/6/09 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to say that post was from me..... but you probably figured it out.

Love ya,

Suze

 
At 4/6/09 5:59 PM , Blogger Emily said...

Hey! Why wasn't I invited?

You are only 20-30 minutes from me right now (in Hershey).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home