Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Drive from Fallon, NV to Grants Pass, OR

Monday morning we bit farewell to Fallon NAS, NV heading for Chico, CA for the night. This meant that we had to cross over Donner Pass in CA. The climb really wasn't that bad, and we knew that the road was clear - it hadn't snowed there for over a week. We stopped at the rest area where I took these pictures. As you can see, there was still some snow in the area.

This morning we left Chico, CA heading north toward Oregon. The scenery has really changed - no more desert brown and rocks. Now we are seeing more green fields, lots of orchards and trees - wow - real trees! The drive north on I-5 is very scenic, but also it has a lot of ups and downs. Dean, fortunately, does most of the driving while towing but today I said that I would take over if he wanted a break. Dumb me!!! I took over the rig driving before we left CA and little did we know what was ahead. I don't remember the name of the pass, but it was climb, climb, climb then down, down, down for about 12 miles at a 6% grade or more. That was the last time I offer while we are in the mountains.
Now, back on track. We passed by Shasta Lake and I snapped this picture while on the go. The lake is quite large and very pretty.
Then this came into view - Mt. Shasta at over 14, 000 feet high. What a beautiful sight it was, pictures just do the same as seeing it in person. You don't get the same perspective. But since your not here, I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Our first good view....
A little closer....
Even closer....
It was so pretty, even the other side as we drove around it....
Took these picture from the rest area on the north side of Mt. Shasta. Notice the aircraft in the second picture - there was a airstrip right by the rest area.
We are now parked at Jakes Landing RV Park in Grants Pass, OR. Will be here for two night. Tomorrow we are doing a jet boat tour of the Rouge River. We are also meeting Susan, another RV'er whose blog I follow, for lunch. Unfortunately, her husband, Jack, will not be joining us as he is visiting his father. I'm really looking forward to meeting Susan though and someday we will meet up with both of them, somewhere down the road.
Check back soon for more of our adventures.

1 Comments:

At 17/5/07 9:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe snow!! I hate driving in the mountains. What beautiful pictures. So different from the red rocks. What a beautiful country we live in.
ava

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home