Monday, April 21, 2008

A Farewell To A Father

April 20, 2008, 10:25 pm. John J. Jones went to a new home to be with his Lord, and his wife and son who preceded him in death along with many friends and relatives.


I lost a wonderful father, my children lost a terrific grandfather and there are those who are now one friend less.


My Dad lived a full, happy, busy life. He spent 20 years in the Air Force, spending time in Italy and Africa during WWII. He served a tour of duty in Saigon, Vietnam. He took his family with him when sent to Okinawa and the Philippines. Stateside he was stationed in IL, NJ, FL and MS. But, not only did he retire from the USAF, he was a terrific salesman who could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo and is now probably trying to sell wings to angels! He sure had the gift of sales. Just a few of the areas of sales he was in was hearing aids, insurance, RV's and his most favorite and last area of sales was flea marketing. He and my mom would travel to PA every summer to sell at several small town festivals. When they decided to stop traveling, he set up shop at the Indoor Flea Market in Foley, AL where he had a booth for about 5 years. Even when he moved into Live Oak Assisted Living, he had a shelving unit in his closet where he kept some flea market items to sell to the staff and residents. The staff all remarked last evening that they will always remember "JJ" as he was affectionately known, because their houses were full of items he convinced them that they needed.

My son has done a great tribute in pictures to his grandfather. To view, please go to the following link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2048395&l=5cc20&id=45107439

This is my farewell to my father who I will miss dearly but I will always have in my heart many wonderful memories to remember. I love you Daddy......

3 Comments:

At 23/4/08 11:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

With tears in my eyes, I want to send you our prayers. Your Dad is at peace now. The pictures are beautiful. Remember the good memories that can bring a smile to your face.

 
At 23/4/08 10:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved seeing the pictures, they brought back a lot of memories. I wish that I could be there. I know that Uncle John is happy now, with Aunt Ginny and Jeff, as well as all the others. I sit here with tears of sadness and joy. I know that you are experiencing much the same. Remember that you are in my prayers. I love you all, Carol P.S. Tell Morgan that we share a common link - both of us had a Poppop that called us Peanut.

 
At 24/4/08 6:59 AM , Blogger Richard Pillers n Shirley Talley said...

it is with great sorrow when we lose a loved one. I feel your pain and heartache too. He is in a better place now and can look down at us. It is the good time we will always remember.

You guys go and enjoy your travels and keep him close in your memery.

Richard and Shirley

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home